30 Aug 11th ASEAN & Asia Forum: Charting ASEAN towards a Sustainable and Digital Future
Singapore is chairing ASEAN at a time when there are new risks posed to economic growth. Growing trade disputes, heightened geopolitical volatility and a protectionist USA have collectively exposed economies to different financial vulnerabilities. The future economic order remains uncertain and export oriented economies in ASEAN need to diversify their growth engines.
To remain competitive, ASEAN is doing more than moving up the value chain. A new investment landscape is emerging in ASEAN with businesses capitalising on sustainable infrastructure and technology. ASEAN’s demand for infrastructure is growing and businesses are facing increasing pressure to incorporate green finance into infrastructure planning. The digital economy is also unfolding at an unprecedented pace, with a mounting danger of smaller businesses being left out.
To help businesses understand these emerging trends and the new drivers of the global economy, the Singapore Institute of International Affairs (SIIA) is organising the 11th ASEAN and Asia Forum focusing on the theme of “Charting ASEAN towards a Sustainable and Digital Future”. The SIIA invites business leaders, diplomats, academics, policy makers and other stakeholders to tackle these issues collaboratively and advance regional thinking.
Mr. Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Finance, Singapore
Date: Thursday, 30th August 2018
Time: 8:00am – 1:00pm (Registration starts at 8am; Conference commences at 9am)
Venue: The Ritz-Carlton Millennia, Singapore
7 Raffles Ave, Singapore 039799
- Keynote Address: Resilience in Innovation – Capitalising on New Global Disruptors
- In-Conversation with Mr. Heng Swee Keat, Minister for Finance, Singapore
- Panel 1: Powering ASEAN’s Infrastructure through Green Finance
- Mr. Tan Cheng Guan, Head, Renewables & Environment Business, Sembcorp Industries Ltd
- Mr. Harold Tjiptadjaja, Managing Director and Chief Investment Officer, Indonesia Infrastructure Finance (IIF)
- Panel 2: ASEAN 4.0 – Making Disruption and Digitalisation Work in ASEAN
- Mr. Peter Ong Boon Kwee, Chairman, Enterprise Singapore
- Mr. Ang Choo Pin, Director Public Policy APAC, Expedia
- Mr. Alexis Lanternier, CEO, Lazada Singapore & Head of New Retail, Lazada Group
About the ASEAN & Asia Forum (AAF)
The SIIA’s annual flagship event is also Singapore’s leading conference for private sector representatives to better understand the region’s political, economic and other strategic challenges and their implications for business. The Forum draws more than 200 high-level corporate leaders and policy makers who are also keen to expand their regional networks.
Previous AAFs have featured Emeritus Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong, former Prime Minister of Singapore; Tan Sri Dato’ Muhyiddin bin Yassin, former Deputy Prime Minister of Malaysia; and U Soe Thane, Union Coordinating Minister for Economic Development, Republic of the Union of Myanmar.
The AAF attracts significant media coverage, widely covered by both local and regional media outlets. News coverage of the AAF appears in media outlets such as TODAY, Channel NewsAsia (CNA), and Bloomberg, as well as via social media platform Twitter and Facebook. The media engagement has been useful in promoting awareness about ASEAN and international affairs.