06 Mar Global Agenda #8 China: Will the “Belt and Road Initiative” Forge a New Global Order?
Through the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), China hopes to create a new trade network linking Asia and Europe by pumping billions of dollars into large-scale infrastructure and connectivity projects. A cornerstone of China’s foreign policy under President Xi Jinping, this initiative underscores the country’s growing global influence. Will the BRI shift the world’s economic and security order? Would it benefit all countries and the private sector? In this edition of Global Agenda, we discuss what Chinese infrastructure investment means for countries involved, and how both the international community and private sector view the initiative.
The panel discussion was co-hosted by NHK World. NHK World is the international service of NHK, Japan’s largest broadcasting organisation and national public broadcaster. The discussion will be broadcast internationally as an episode of NHK World’s Global Agenda series on 10 June 2018.
- Amb. Ashok K. Kantha, Director of the Institute of Chinese Studies, Delhi; and Former Ambassador of India to China
- Dr. Rumi Aoyama, Professor, Graduate School of Asia-Pacific Studies and Director of the Waseda Institute of Contemporary China, Waseda University
- Mr. Teo Eng Cheong, Chief Executive Officer International (Singapore, Southeast Asia, North Asia)
- Prof. Wang Yiwei, Jean Monnet Chair Professor, Director of Institute of International Affairs, Director of Center for European Studies, Renmin University of China
- Mr. Steven Okun, Senior Advisor, McLarty Associates
Moderator: Assoc. Prof. Simon Tay, Chairman, Singapore Institute of International Affairs
Date: Tuesday, 6th March 2018
Time: 5:30pm – 7:30pm (Registration starts at 5:30pm; Event will begin sharply at 6:00pm)
Venue: Singapore Institute of International Affairs
60A Orchard Road, Level 4M, Tower 1,
The Atrium @Orchard, International Involvement Hub,
*This event is by invitation only. For any enquiries or for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This event is co-organised with: