Home  
Philippines declares emergency as massacre toll hits 46

Updated On: Nov 25, 2009

SANIAG, Philippines: The Philippines declared a state of emergency in parts of the volatile south on Tuesday as anger spiralled over a savage political massacre that left at least 46 people dead.

Police on Mindanao island pulled bullet-riddled bodies from shallow graves after gunmen allegedly hired by a local political chief abducted and shot dead a group of politicians from a rival clan and accompanying journalists.

As thousands of troops fanned out across the ultra-tense Maguindanao province on Mindanao, President Gloria Arroyo declared a state of emergency for the area that would allow curfews and road checkpoints to be imposed.

"No effort will be spared to bring justice to the victims and hold the perpetrators accountable to the full limit of the law," Arroyo said on national television.

National police spokesman Chief Superintendent Leonardo Espina told reporters in Manila that 24 bodies had been recovered on Tuesday, on top of 22 that had been found on Monday.

Click here to read the full article

Source: AFP (through Channel NewsAsia), "Philippines declares emergency as massacre toll hits 46," November 24, 2009,http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_asiapacific/view/1020339/1/.h...







Related Article